Re: [Vserver] too many open files error

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Fri 07 Apr 2006 - 00:52:56 BST

On Thursday 06 April 2006 07:41 pm, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Thu April 6 2006 17:41, Chuck wrote:
> Ch>
> Ch> actually 2 applications, the mail server and the list server both of
which can
> Ch> open several hundred threads as needed.
> Ch>
>
> The hardcoded maximum per process (in 2.6.x) is 1024*1024 - so that is
nothing
> unless you have a very, very bad fs descriptor leak.

he is sending me 2 new binaries to see if they cure the problems. he suspects
his settings/code since we didnt have this problem until we went to the new
version, however at the same time we changed machines so there were too many
variables for me to easily decide where the problem was.

> Ch> > There is another limit built into the kernel for applications that use
> Ch> 'select'
> Ch> > to get notifications of connection attempts to file descriptors.
> Ch> >
>
> Browsing fs/select.c makes me think I was wrong on the above - it might be
> a libc limit that I recently read.
>
> Mike

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book