Re: [Vserver] About the tcp/ip stack ...

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 17 Apr 2006 - 03:56:35 BST

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 08:37:44PM +0200, Sébastien CRAMATTE wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've got few questions about the tcp/ip stack ...
> Few days ago I've tested freevps o a debian with 2.6 kernel ...
>
> in each vserver appear a "lo" loopback interface and a "ethX" virtual
> interface. so it's possible to install quasi all packages ... except
> DHCPD for example
>
> FreeVPS can't handle dhcpd VSERVER but seems to isolate more each
> server?

well, FreeVPS decided to do network stack virtualization
which gives a few benefits over the isolation Linux-VServer
does but also adds some overhead to the networking

> This the answer from FreeVPS team to my question "Does it possible to
> run ISC DHCPD server under Freevps"
>
> "original vserver don`t use virtualization for tcp stack.
>
> all vps`s and host use same stack, but freevps virtualize tcp stack
> for decrease load. I`m sorry, but it`s only second requests for this
> feature after 3 years FreeVPS project..."
>
> "I don`t try this but it`s can be don`t work with FreeVPS.

> dhcpd use bpf for get requests, but bpf level very poor virtualizated
> at FreeVPS.

> I have plan to rewrite vnetdev module for use L2 address for separate
> packets between contexts and ability use any vps as default gateway
> for all other, but it`s not for 1.5 branch. At current time separate
> packets between contexts work with L3 addresses (IPv4/v6)."
>
> What are the exact difference between FreeVPS and Vserver ?

ah, that's hard to say, but I can explain the common origin
and maybe the stuff they got in common ...

basically when I took over the Linux-VServer project, Alexey
branched the FreeVPS project, and started virtualizing the
network stack ... today, both projects do not share much
code anymore, but, as it seems, we still have the syscall
in common and the basic concepts behind the virtualization

so in general, you can map certain things between them, and
you can probably port a feature from one to the other ...

HTH,