Re: [Vserver] VMWare-Server and vserver

From: Tony Lewis <gnutered_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri 21 Apr 2006 - 01:57:36 BST

Stephan Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any known issues running the vmware-server on a 2.6 kernel
> with applied vserver-patches?

I got VMware server running in a guest, once I gave it the right privs.
Took a few runs through to get the right capabilities (it wants to
create devices for its virtual networking.

My plan is to use it to stage and test new vserver kernels without
risking our production system, and without needing another physical box
around. So it'll be:
   vserver host kernel -> vserver guest -> vmware -> test vserver host
kernel -> test vserver guests

If I can slot Xen in there somewhere, and a Qemu on each side to
balance, I'll be happy :-)

Long story short:
* needed to install the following packages (guest was a Dapper server
(not desktop)):
  linux-headers-* psmisc libx11-6 libxtst6 libxext6 libxt6 libice6
libsm6 libxrender1 make gcc-4.0 xinetd perl-modules libc6-dev gcc

(make sure the linux-headers-* installed matches the headers used for
the current running, patched, vserver host kernel)

* add the following capabilities:

CAP_SYS_MODULE
CAP_MKNOD
CAP_NET_ADMIN