[Vserver] /vservers as an nfs mount?

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Wed 26 Apr 2006 - 02:53:27 BST

we are completely restructuring our entire physical network around the vserver
concept.

it has proven itself in stability and performance in production to the point
we no longer see the need for dedicated servers except in the most demanding
instances (mostly our email server which cannot be run as a guest until there
is no slow down using > 130 ip addresses).

in our network restructuring, we wish to use our large storage nfs system and
place all the vserver guests on that sharing those directories to be mounted
on the proper dual opteron machine front end as /vservers.

i am seriously thinking of also making /etc/vservers an nfs mount so that each
host configuration and guests live in a particular area on the nfs to make
switching machines a breeze if so needed.

does anyone see a problem with this idea? we will be using dual GB nics into
this nfs system in a pvtnet from each machine to facilitate large amounts of
data flow. public ip space will still use 100mb nics.

if this can work efficiently (most of our guests are not disk i/o bound..
those with ultra heavy disk i/o will live on each front end machine), we can
consolidate more than 100 machines into 2 front end machines and one SAN
system. This would free enough rack space that if we don't need any dedicated
machines in the future we could easily add more than 1500 servers in
host/guest config in the same space 100 took up. it would also hugely
simplify backups and drop our electric bill in half or more.

pros?
cons?

--
Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,