Re: [Vserver] Issues of Security

From: Sam Vilain <sam_at_vilain.net>
Date: Wed 26 Apr 2006 - 08:06:34 BST

Oliver Welter wrote:

>Hi Manish,
>

>>Has anybody done any work or study on security of vserver. What are the
>>possible security downsides and possible areas of attack on vserver both
>>from other vservers on the same host and from external agent. Any pointers
>>on this would be very helpful. Thanks,
>>

>I havent done a study, but from the basic idea behind vserver following
>issues are relevant:
>* if we assume, the context isolation works without errors, the risk for
>guest - guest attacks is equal to physical independent server

That's quite a foolish assumption.

It's probably safe to assume by default that "local exploit"
vulnerabilities now affect your cross-vserver cluster, unless proven
otherwise.

Let's not be cavalier about this. No-one has done the full auditing yet
to prove that any of the single-kernel virtualisation systems are truly
isolated. As far as we know, all the holes have been closed - certainly
since the /proc filtering the level of uncertainty has dropped sharply -
but there are still an awful lot of entry points into the kernel, each
of which might have a security bug.

Sam.