Re: [Vserver] some questions about debian-vserver

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri 28 Apr 2006 - 05:25:02 BST

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:03:34 -0400
Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

> * alexander goeres - lieblinx.net (agoeres@lieblinx.net) wrote:
> > So I'd like to know if anyone here has already gathered experience with
> > these debian kernels? Do they work? Better than debian util-vserver?
> > Are there any flaws included beyond "normal" vservers?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're thinking, but...

yeah, there's mention of "debian-util-vserver tools" and "debian
util-vserver", but i don't know if those are meant to refer to
"util-vserver" and/or "vserver-debiantools".

the util-vserver 0.30.204 package in debian stable is supposedly borked.
the util-vserver 0.30.210 package in unstable was initially borked, but
should now be fixed. i read on the web somewhere that the
vserver-debiantools are out of date and therefor don't work correctly. (if
any of that information is wrong, please correct me, as i only have
experience with my backported util-vserver 0.30.209 and it works fine.)

but i don't know which package or problem is supposedly being referenced.

> I'm running the stock Debian vserver kernels with the stock Debian
> util-vserver, from unstable (well, as of a couple weeks ago right now)
> on 15 production servers and have been very happy with them.

just curious how you are handling unstable, linux-image-vserver, and
security updates in a production environment. i'd do it, but nearly every
security update in unstable forces a new version (as only stable receives
backported security updates), and i have enough problems migrating to a new
kernel version (with the various breakage each new kernel version brings)
without the pressure of doing it quickly because of a security update.

curious about best practices, lessons learned, advice, etc you might have
concerning that setup ("unstable, linux-image-vserver, and security updates
in a production environment").

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com