Re: [Vserver] Timeout and SIGKILL error upon guest stop

From: Youri LACAN-BARTLEY <ylacan_at_teicam.com>
Date: Fri 28 Apr 2006 - 16:48:40 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 04:20:20PM +0200, Youri LACAN-BARTLEY wrote:
>
>> Hi Herbert,
>>
>> I tried changing the timeout as described in my initial post, the
>> error occurred well under 120 seconds and definitely under the default
>> 30 seconds, so what exactly sends the SIGKILL prematurely?
>>

> hmm, missed that one, sorry ...

Well, what I meant was that the error I posted about occurred at
shutdown within way under 30 seconds. If I understand correctly, a
SIGKILL is sent to all processes that do not shutdown within a 30 second
time frame by default. I therefore gather that something other than the
timeout mechanism is sending out the SIGKILL.

>> I'll be using strace on motion to check if that is causing the error.
>> I might be able to solve the problem by changing init.d script
>> handling the daemon, who knows.
>>

> have you tried to use a 'plain' init style on that
> guest? it seems to me that you are using sysv, maybe
> your scripts kill the shutdown somehow?

I have switched to a 'plain' init style on the concerned guest, and to
error has occurred. So I guess that solved the problem.
Are there any downsides to using the 'plain' init style other than the
less 'human-readable' boot sequence?
And is switching to 'plain' init style the solution to all timeout
errors occurring on guest shutdown?

Thanks again to all for you for the help, and keep up the good work !