Re: [Vserver] A possible new idea

From: Fareha Shafique <fareha_at_eecg.toronto.edu>
Date: Fri 12 May 2006 - 20:17:47 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 05:17:55PM -0400, Fareha Shafique wrote:
>

>>Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>>>sounds interesting, any ideas how to realize this?
>>>

>>Well, my first impression of vservers was that it provided a kind of
>>containment that I have mentioned. I mean after quickly going over the
>>short introduction, I thought that a vserver has read only access to
>>the host server's files and CoW is used whenever the vserver modifes a
>>file. However, after installing a vserver, I realized this was not the
>>case. And after asking a few questions on the mailing list, I learnt
>>that there is no direct way to do this. I was hoping to find out what
>>some of those involved in the development of linux-vserver thought
>>about the feasibility of this idea.
>>

>well, yes, they did :)

So they thought about it, but found it infeasible? or unecessary?

>>So basically, at the moment, I don't really have much idea how to
>>realize this, but I am hoping those more involved with vserver will
>>some ideas to share :)
>>

>aha, good, well, what would be the advantage over the
>currently established way to do this, i.e. have a
>template (some cleaned up version of your host system)
>and update guests either individually or at-once with
>the v* tools (like vrpm, vapt, vyum ...)?
>
>why would somebody want to _share_ the host files with
>the guest, instead of having a separate filesystem for
>them?

It will
1) save space: Esp. in the example I gave of using vservers to provide
MAC. So if we want to provide different permissions for different
users/applications, the permissions can be defined per vserver. Rather
than each vserver having a copy of the host filesystem, the guest and
host can share filesystems...I'm thinking this method will make access
policies easier to write than those of SELinux.
2) make upgrades more manageable. For example, rather than having a test
vserver to test upgrades and have a separate production vserver to which
all tested upgrades have to be moved and configuration re-done, sharing
a filesystem will allow a 'commit-like' functionality to automatically
handle passing an upgrade from the vserver to the host.

I'm talking to others and think that there might be a few other uses of
this kind of 'isolated' filesysetm.

Comments?

thanks,
-FS