[Vserver] Re: About the tcp/ip stack ...

From: Andrew Schulman <andrex_at_alumni.utexas.net>
Date: Fri 26 May 2006 - 11:18:39 BST

> Few days ago I've tested freevps o a debian with 2.6 kernel ...
>
> in each vserver appear a "lo" loopback interface and a "ethX"
> virtual interface.
> so it's possible to install quasi all packages ... except DHCPD for
> example
>
> FreeVPS can't handle dhcpd VSERVER but seems to isolate more each server ?
>
> This the answer from FreeVPS team to my question "Does it possible to
> run ISC DHCPD server under Freevps"
>
> "original vserver don`t use virtualization for tcp stack.
>
> all vps`s and host use same stack, but freevps virtualize tcp stack for
> decrease load.
> I`m sorry, but it`s only second requests for this feature after 3 years
> FreeVPS project..."
>

> "I don`t try this but it`s can be don`t work with FreeVPS.
> dhcpd use bpf for get requests, but bpf level very poor virtualizated at
> FreeVPS.
> I have plan to rewrite vnetdev module for use L2 address for separate
> packets between contexts and ability use any vps as default gateway for
> all other, but it`s not for 1.5 branch.
> At current time separate packets between contexts work with L3 addresses
> (IPv4/v6)."

Sorry if this is OT for this list, but let me see if I understand: are you
saying that FreeVPS' virtual network interfaces isolate TCP traffic, but not
UDP? And therefore dhcpd won't run in a FreeVPS VPS? Can this really be
true? I can't find any other mention of it, and
http://www.freevps.com/tracker.html says that FreeVPS has "private udp
socket lists".

If this is true it's very bad for FreeVPS.

Thanks,
Andrew.