Re: [Vserver] guest o/s on vserver

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat 27 May 2006 - 17:26:24 BST

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:09:27PM +0530, markandeya wrote:
> Dear Friends,

> I would like to install numerous flavours of Linux on one machine using
> vserver. Thus i can have one o/s as host like centos or Mandriva and
> then run Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora, gentoo, etc. as guest virtual servers.

this is one of the many applications for Linux-VServer,
so your choice is a good one, I guess :)

> How does one install these guests?

in numerous ways, the deb based (Ubuntu, Debian) are
usually isntalled from the network via debootstrap,
the rpm based either from repositories or rpm archives
either locally (rpm) or via apt-rpm or yum, other
distros like gentoo or lfs are built on the host
(inside a dir) or downloaded.

most distro can be installed directly with the tools
(http://linux-vserver.org/alpha+util-vserver)
but you can always install them 'manually' and just
copy the isntallation into a so called skeleton
directory

> Are there images so less disk space is used for installation and
> shared files(kernal) need not be duplicated?

the kernel is usually removed from those guests
as it is not required (same goes for all hardware
related stuff)

across distros the number of identical files which
could be shared is very small, so unification or
similar does not make too much sense there ...

> Sorry, this is mentioned in other documentation but i could not
> find an indepth or step by step method/explanation.
> Please any help or explanation or reference to a documentation source.

http://linux-vserver.org/

most stuff should be here, but I grant you that it
isn't that easy to find what you are looking for,
probably using google to search is a good choice

> Thank you so much.

you're welcome!