Re: [Vserver] re: Vserver Digest, Vol 26, Issue 55

From: Bruno <bonbons67_at_internet.lu>
Date: Thu 01 Jun 2006 - 20:56:55 BST

On Thursday 01 June 2006 10:34, HongDan wrote:
> Hi~ I¡¯ve tested Daniel Hokka Zakrisson's ipv6 patch for util-vserver and
> successfully login a vserver guest with ipv6 address. My experiment is like
> this:
>
> 1. Using vmware to build a guest with a real ipv6 address assigned
>
> 2. Build a vserver guest in the vmware guest,. The ipv4 address is
> arbitrary(fake in my case), but the ipv6 address is the same as the vmware
> guest
>
> 3. I stopped the sshd of vmware guest(vserver host), and edited the
> sshd_config of vserver guest to listen on it¡¯s ipv6 address
>
> 4. I assigned another real ipv6 address for my notebook, and ssh into the
> vserver guest with ipv6 address successfully.
>
> So I think the ipv6 address of vserver is working. But there seems some
> problem:
>
> 1. I can't use ping6 in vserver guest. It prompts ¡°ping: icmp open socket:
> Operation not permited¡± when I use "ping6 3ffe:3200::2¡±, while ¡°unknown
> host¡± when using ¡°ping6 3ffe:3200::2/64¡±. Anyway it didn¡¯t work, do you
> know what¡¯s the matter?
Ping works with ICMPv6 on raw sockets which I haven't looked too much into
yet, so not too surprising it doesn't work.
Ping6 is using raw sockets which I didn't handle that much yet, better it
fails than letting too much pass through.
Will look at the raw sockets as well as multicast this weekend, especially as
ping is a quite useful feature!

> 2. When I ssh into vserver guest with ipv6 address, it took quite a long
> time before logging into the system, which doesn¡¯t happen when using ipv4
> address. Do you think it¡¯s the problem of ipv6 network or the ipv6 ability
> of vserver?
As Daniel said, this is most proably DNS-related
Make sure you have some DNS server reachable by the guest, or have an empty
resolv.conf.

> 3. Till now I can only build a new vserver with yum method. Sometimes it
> took too long a time if the internet condition is not so good. I read
> guides on http://linux-vserver.org/ again and again, but can¡¯t find an
> efficient way about how to build a new vserver guest. Would you give me
> some hints? For example, how to change the default yum.repo of vserver
> guest? Does it use the same yum.repo with vserver host? Because I want to
> build several guests and assign separate ipv6 address for them.
>
> 4. I¡¯ve assigned an ipv4 address to guest when it¡¯s built, then how can I
> change this address later? I tried to change the /etc/vservers/<my
> vserver>/interfaces/0/ip, but after starting the guest, the corresponding
> net device didn¡¯t come up again, unless I changed the ip back.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hong Dan

Regards,
Bruno