Re: [Vserver] simple questions about centos kernel and fc 4 to 5 upgrade guest

From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver_at_muh.at>
Date: Tue 06 Jun 2006 - 16:11:55 BST

Hi there,

(note: thanks to Herbert 4 reminding this post)

on Friday, June 2, 2006 at 12:57:07 AM there was posted:

jmp> I've read in the mailing list archive that centos kernel cannot
jmp> be patched with vserver patch. Is it always true with centos 4.3
jmp> ?

Distribution dependand (already heavily patched) kernels kann not be
patched "out of the box". Further (i.e vserver) patches have to be
adjusted to fit the already patched (and therefore moved and changed)
lines of a distribution supplied kernel. Usually this is not too easy
to do, but a "vanilla" (i.e. kernel.org sourced "plain" kernel) should
do it's work as well (if not better).

jmp> How to upgrade FC4 guest to FC5 ? yum ? new vserver build in FC5
jmp> environment and reinstall ?

Both ways have pro's and contra's. I've tried both - and I personally
prefer new build and reinstall of relevant services for several rea-
sons:

.) Time: Upgrade usually looks like the "faster" way. In my experiance
   (with a clear structured system) it usually still takes the same
   amount of time to upgrade as it takes for reinstallation - install
   of packages is one thing, changing changed configs the other,
   solving "strange" issues the third
.) Uptime: Whilst preparing the new system the other still can run and
   mostly "silent" migrated when the new one is up and running
.) Transparency: A fresh installed system never has overhead of a pre-
   vious install, neither replaced configs, nor unused binaries
.) Troubleshooting: If a fresh installed sys does not run, it can't be
   due to old or misplaced configs ;-)

jmp> If you have experiment it , I am interested to know if there are
jmp> troubles.

"The major source of troubles always resides on the 17 cms between
ones left and right ear." (tm)

--
regards 'n greez,
Guenther Fuchs