Re: [Vserver] vservers start very slow after a reboot

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 26 Jun 2006 - 14:12:30 BST

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 08:28:35PM +0100, GarconDuMonde wrote:

> hil
>
> Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> > i had problems with vservers not starting (or so i thought) after a
> > system reboot on my Debian Sarge.
> > Some particulars of my system:
> > - debootstrap install of vservers
> > - most vservers have at least 1 shared directories with host (apt cache)
> > - hashified
> > - lastest util-vserver
> > - kernel 2.6.16
> > - debian sarge
> > - 7 vservers
> >
> > What happened when i rebooted is that i saw these lines:
> > Fixing visibility of /proc entries for vservers...done
> > Starting vservers of type default...
> >
> > And then it seemed as if my system hung but i could actually do a 3
> > fingered salute. So hanging is not the right wording, rather "not
> > responding".
>
> i actually had the same problem... you go onto describe how you
> (almost) figured out the problem in this email, it seems that you
> didn't quite make the final connection: it's not really a problem with
> the vservers themselves taking a long time, it's a problem in the
> order in which they are starting, with the non-dns vservers starting
> first and therefore hanging whilst they wait for network connections
> to time out.

sounds quite reasonable to me, and dns timeout
can take quite some while actually :)

> > I had what appeared to be some dead links in my /etc/rc2.d:
> > vprocunhide rebootmgr vservers-default vservers-legacy They don't
> > seem to be used anymore so i removed them. Now only a link to
> > /etc/init.d/util-vserver is in there
> >
> > Anyway, i edited /etc/default/util-vserver and set the following:
> > mark=
> > auto=false
>
> i did this as well. it temporarily solves the problem to find the
> answer, as you say.
>
> > This prevented the vservers to load on boot (which i actually want
> > and need but disabled to see what's going on). I then rebooted and
> > started a vserver manually and instead of the startup lines zipping
> > by it took ages for it to print some lines so now i knew "Starting
> > vservers of type default..." was actually not hanging my computer
> > but rather just going very very slow.
>
> which lines? i suspect they are the ones about various network
> connections for your vserver (trying to resolve hostname, for
> example).
>
> > I started all my vservers and after about 10 minutes (i had started
> > an uml to get DNS going) i decided to shut down the uml that
> > provided dns and start the vserver instead that also provides dns.
> > Well, to my surprise, that one started quickly again. Entering the
> > vservers was also quick again. Very strange.
>
> no - you now have your dns working, hence it doesn't need to wait for
> network timeouts.
>
> > Now it all works again but as you can imagine, i wouldn't want to
> > reboot :)
> >
> > 1. What could be causing the slow startup?
> >
> > 2. What links are necessary in /etc/rc2.d? vprocunhide, rebootmgr,
> > vservers-default & vservers-legacy point nowhere only util-vserver
> > seems to be valid
>
> i've got the similar system set up as you (debian sarge 2.6.16 etc).
> there was something like:
>
> /etc/init.d/vserver-default
>
> and created
>
> /etc/init.d/vserver-dnsserver
> /etc/init.d/vserver-mailserver
>
> etc, so that i could start the vservers in a specific order by linking
> them into /etc/rc?.d/* as appropriate.
>
> > 3. I have my DNS inside a vserver, so the DNS vserver should be
> > started as early as possible. How do i do that if the links above
> > aren't valid? Can i move the util-vserver link and then use the mark
> > file to accomplish that?
>
> you still use the mark file to specifiy which start-up script starts
> which vserver:
>
> user@host:~$ cat /etc/vservers/vsdns/apps/init/mark
> dnsserver
> user@host:~$ cat /etc/vservers/vsmail/apps/init/mark
> mailserver
> user@host:~$ cat /etc/vservers/vshttp/apps/init/mark
> default
>
> so i can get them to start in what ever order i like, depending upon
> the order in /etc/rc?.d/ .

sidenote: there is a very useful option in the config
tree too, called 'depends' (from the FlowerPage)

 * /etc/vservers/<vserver-name>/apps/init
  # depends
     This file is used to configure vservers which must be running
     before the current vserver can be started. At shutdown, the current
     vserver will be stopped before its dependencies. Content of this
     file are vserver ids (one name per line).

HTH,
Herbert