[Solved] Re: [Vserver] No /dev/stdin on vserver? (How) can I create new devices?

From: Robert Michel <news_at_robertmichel.de>
Date: Sat 01 Jul 2006 - 13:34:25 BST

Salve Daniel!

Thank you ;)

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> >do not have a /dev/stdin. Is there a way I can
> >create it myself?
>
> As this is just a symlink to /proc/self/fd/0, sure.

ln -s /proc/self/fd/0 /dev/stdin
;)

That was the solution. But I feel my problem is that
I just know not engough - do you have a tip for me
what read/learn?

ls -lh /proc/self/fd/
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2006-07-01 14:08 0 -> /dev/pts/33
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2006-07-01 14:08 1 -> /dev/pts/33
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2006-07-01 14:08 2 -> /dev/pts/33
lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2006-07-01 14:08 3 -> /proc/21458/fd

ls -lh /dev/pts/*
crw--w---- 1 root tty 136, 14 2006-07-01 13:54 /dev/pts/14
crw--w---- 1 root tty 136, 20 2006-07-01 13:57 /dev/pts/20
crw--w---- 1 root tty 136, 21 2006-07-01 14:09 /dev/pts/21
crw--w---- 1 root tty 136, 31 2006-07-01 14:06 /dev/pts/31
crw------- 1 root tty 136, 32 2006-07-01 14:09 /dev/pts/32
crw--w---- 1 root tty 136, 33 2006-07-01 14:09 /dev/pts/33
crw--w---- 1 root tty 136, 34 2006-07-01 13:59 /dev/pts/34

What should I read to learn what fd,pts stands for and
to know what /dev/pts/[14|20|21|31-34] are?
pts = pseudo tts?
I think
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-6.html
should be good. But is there any goot tutorial for vserver,
that explains restriction by vserver?

> >Could it by that I'm allowed to remove devices, but
> >not allowed to create one?
>
> Exactly. Giving guests the ability to create devices is a huge security
> risk, basically equivalent to just giving access to the host directly.

Ok, but can you confirm that I'm able as root@guest to remove e.g.
/dev/tty without the chance/right to restore them with an backup?

And does this mean I can't create /dev/sound2 or /dev/tty.rob to map
then to another machine (via ssh) on vserver?

Thanks again for your help,
rob