Re: [Vserver] localhost oddity on vserver host

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 02 Jul 2006 - 16:44:02 BST

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:51:58PM -0400, Paul S. Gumerman wrote:
> In it's own thread now -- sorry for the unintentional hijack.
>
> I have two practically identical vserver hosts, named vhost1 and vhost3.
>
> They are both running kernel CentOS (2.6.14.3-vs2.0.1-rc5) x86_64.
>
> /etc/hosts on each one is essentially the same, and the routes look
> good and essentially the same.
>
> The ifconfig output for both looks the same, and both show traffic in
> and out of lo.

this suggests that you 'assigned' some loopback ip
(probably 127.0.0.1) to both guests, which will them
allow to bind to that ip too

this very likely results in two guests competing for
that address, so some services will be able to bind
others will fail ...

> On vhost1, "ping 127.0.0.1" works as expected, and sshd can listen on
> the localhost port 22, and can be used there (by freenx).
>
> On vhost3, "ping 127.0.0.1" *sends* packets, but shows 100% packet
> loss. Also, sshd does not complain about listening on localhost,
> but it doesn't show up in netstat's output, and it doesn't work on
> localhost (freenx fails).
>
> Does anybody have any ideas? Unfortunately, vhost3 is a hundred miles
> away, and one of the virtual servers is running an important mail
> server, so I have to be careful. But vhost1 is here, and not so
> critical, so I can experiment with it.

basically I do not see a good reason for assigning
127.x.x.x to a guest, but if you have to, then try
to choose different ones, e.g. 127.0.0.2, 127.0.0.3 ...

HTH,
Herbert