[Vserver] Re: linux-vserver patch 2.0.x for kernel 2.6.16

From: Bert De Vuyst <bert.devuyst_at_intec.ugent.be>
Date: Wed 05 Jul 2006 - 11:09:12 BST

On Monday 03 July 2006 17:29, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:27:32AM +0200, Bert De Vuyst wrote:
> > Dear Herbert,
> >
> > Is it possible to maintain a linux-vserver patch for the kernel 2.6.16.x
> > series?
>
> I think so, who is going to maintain it?

euh ....

> > - kernel 2.6.16 is the kernel used by some large distributions for
> > there next release (fedora and suse ?)

Some people prefer to run the kernel version shipped with there distribution.
(RedHat and SUSE)

> > - kernel 2.6.16 did receive a large number of fixes. Some people will
> > use it as there "stable" kernel for the next months. (they will skip
> > 2.6.17)
>
> well, 2.6.17 should have all that fixes, no?

Yes, it should have them.
But if we look at the recent discussions regarding to the number of bugs
inside the linux kernel, it did turn out that the number of bugs did increase
in the more recent kernel releases.
I think people will see kernel 2.6.16.x as a well tested, proven version.

Large organizations tend to standardize there software on one version (in this
case: one kernel release)

> if there is great demand and/or some good reason
> to do that, we will probably go that way ...

Well, let's see when vs-2.0.2 is finished. We can then ask the mailinglist if
there is a demand for it.

Best regards,

Bert.