Re: [Vserver] How to discover the "real" IP Address?

From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver_at_muh.at>
Date: Sat 08 Jul 2006 - 09:17:36 BST

Hi there,

on Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 3:54:58 AM there was posted:

BF> 2006/7/7, Guenther Fuchs <vserver@muh.at>:
GF> As for security reasons: I don't think it's (easily) possible -
GF> and furthermore, I don't think, it _should_ be (easily) possible.

BF> OK, let's say I know the hostname of TWO Servers (real ones) which
BF> both host a bunch of VServers.
BF> I therefore am able to know their IPs, right?

So you meant to discover, on which machine you reside, when not having
main host access but knowing some of their details, right?

BF> Now, I tried following approach:
BF> pinging localhost gives me 0.0 ms times
BF> pinging SERVER1 gives me 0.0 ms times
BF> pinging SERVER2 gives me times form 0.1 to 0.4...

BF> Is it correct if I assume (without any definite certainty) that my
BF> VServer resides on SERVER1?

This assumption looks correct to me, although it's not certain. Look
into ARP tables and MAC adresses for more certainity.

--
regards 'n greez,
Guenther Fuchs