[Vserver] util-vserver

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Sat 08 Jul 2006 - 14:57:17 BST

Hi Enrico, everyone,

For a couple of months now, I have been maintaining a series of patches
for util-vserver 0.30.210. Most of the patches are pretty well-tested by
now, as they are in the Debian[1] and Gentoo[2] packages, as well as my
RPMs. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to writing that
configuration patch we talked about yet though.

http://daniel.hozac.com/vserver/util-vserver/ has them all, the file
order contains the order in which to apply them (they're all against an
original tree, so there are some conflicts between the patches).

- bmask is described in patch #4968[3].
- vcontext-uid is described in patch #4966[4].
- vlogin is described in patch #4969[5].
- delete does what you'd expect, patch #4899[6] and bug #12838[7].
- fc5 adds FC5 as a valid distribution.
- chcontext-secure is described in patch #4993[8].
- shiny10 is an update to Herbert's most recent alternative syscall
implementation[9], fixing at least the miscompilations of rpm-fake.so I
saw on FC5.
- man-chcontext-section is from the Debian package, and bug #16083[10].
- apis is a fixes a typo and lets you specify olduts/oldproc in the
--enable-apis= option.
- clone-arch fixes clone so it works on SPARC and S390, bug #16158[11].
- condrestart is the patch from bug #15678[12].
- cpuset is a patch from a mailing list entry[13], only updated.
- debootstrap-script is from the Debian package, adding support for some
debootstrap feature.
- namespace-cleanup was written by Bastian Blank. It moves the namespace
cleanup to userspace.
- nice makes sure the guest always gets a certain nice value, by default
0. Previously, restarting a guest from the inside (with reboot -f) would
give the guest a niceness of -5 for all processes once it restarted.
- prefix is sort of a hack to fix bug #15517[14].
- remove-init-style-gentoo is from the Gentoo package, since it doesn't
work anyway, I don't see the harm.
- start-vservers fixes bugs #15632[15] and #14525[16].
- usage fixes bug #15551[17].
- chattr replaces the last chattr call with setattr, although I'm not
sure if it's needed anymore.
- pkgmgmt-vsomething is one of the less tested patches, but so far so
good. It makes vapt-get and vrpm use vsomething like vyum does, as well
as makes sure they all run the processes in the guest's network context.
This issue was brought to my attention by a PLD patch[18].
- cru-vps enables Cru's VPS repository by default for FC4, FC5 and
CentOS4, which contains fake packages replacing things like the kernel
and other unneeded packages.

If you could check them out and maybe give some ACK/NAKs, that would be
great.

[1]
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/u/util-vserver/util-vserver_0.30.210-10.diff.gz
[2]
http://dev.croup.de/proj/gentoo-vps/browser/util-vserver/patches/0.30.210-r14
[3] https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4968
[4] https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4966