Re: [Vserver] One more problem: vserver ethernet alias

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 13 Jul 2006 - 03:27:07 BST

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 02:57:29PM -0700, Kathy Kost wrote:

> I posted this before but not sure it actually went to the list, being my
> first post.
>
> I am having troubles with a vserver (named "www") in that when I add a 6th
> IP alias to it, it will not create the interface when the entire system is
> rebooted. And until I remove that 6th definition and reboot again, the
> Apache2 server inside of vserver www will not start up, because the
> network did not initialize correctly. I have not had any troubles with
> adding these definitions until this time.
>
> If I manually do an ifconfig and add the interface by hand in the root
> server, then restart the www vserver and it's Apache2 server, then it's
> happy. I'm at a loss as to why on reboot, this 6th definition has a
> problem.

this basically means that the IP is not added by the
tools automatically, but it _is_ assigned to the guest
properly (otherwise apache would not be able to bind
to that, i.e. it would not work with that IP, assuming
it does :)

now, as stupid as it may sound, the most likely case
is a typo, where you basically add the 'wrong' IP,
which accidentially looks like the right one at the
first (and often second, and third glance)

of course, as you are using 'aliases' there could as
well be a collision with another alias (keep in mind
that you only see a small part of the 13char aliases,
and double check with ip from iproute2)

> I have it defined in /etc/vserver/www/interfaces/6 and have the files dev,
> ip, and name. The IP I'm using is unique and not conflicting with any of
> the other device aliases and the name I'm using for that interface is 8
> characters long (and shorter than some of the other ones).

also adding a prefix (or netmask) for each of your
IPs would not hurt (on the contrary, it would clarify
things for the network stack :)

providing the 'ip addr ls' output right after a system
restart together with the network config files of that
guest (/etc/vserver/www/interfaces/*) and a --debug
startup (or restart) should be sufficient to explain
what issues you are facing ...