Re: [Vserver] Cannot install yum on vserver guest on FC5

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Wed 19 Jul 2006 - 01:48:19 BST

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Thanks. I've been fighting other battles so haven't had a chance to get
> very far into this. I was coming to the same conclusion as I took out
> the yum version test and simply used yum.conf instead of yum-hack.conf
> and it broke.

That's mostly because the yum.conf file uses chrootfs:// and hostfs://
which are added by the patch and judging by the response of the upstream
yum developers will never be accepted.

> This does bring up a possible new issue ( or I've never seen it
> discussed before. ) There appears to be a command line length limit when
> using vyum. I was building a script that built our stock guests (
> verses a copy as I still haven't got that worked out ) and as we added
> more packages I just edited the script adding them in forgetting to
> test. I moved the script to another system and started getting (v)yum
> failures even if I copy and pasted one line at a time.
> Finally got a clue ( from somewhere ) and cut the number of packages
> down for each call of vyum and they worked.

How many packages per command did you have? I seem to have no problems
installing over 2000 packages in a single command (other than it taking
a really long time :)).

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson
GPG id: 06723412