[Vserver] Shares and Reservations in the token-bucket-algorithm

From: Wilhelm Meier <wilhelm.meier_at_fh-kl.de>
Date: Sun 23 Jul 2006 - 20:22:41 BST

Hello,

I have a question to the token-bucket-filter on top of the linux-scheduler
according to the dokumentation (and i must state that I didn't check the
source until now ...).

The (fillrate/intervall) gives the shares of the number of cpus one vserver
can get at maximum. But what happens if only one vserver has runnable
processes? Then it gets only (fillrate/intervall) of all cpus (not taking
tokensmax and tokensmin into account). Shouldn't this be called a reservation
instead of a share? A share should be the amount of cpus a vserver gets if
all vservers have runnable processes. If one vserver has no runnable
processes, then the cpus should be given proportianal to the active vservers
(at least this is what Solaris-10 does).

In the paper

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~mef/research/vserver/paper.pdf

I found the terms "shares" and "reservations" but I can't find the point to
setup both types of parameters.

I would be glad if someone could explain this to me.

--
Wilhelm Meier
email: wilhelm.meier@fh-kl.de