Re: [Vserver] guest network interface disappears

From: Martin Pajak <joe_at_han.de>
Date: Tue 25 Jul 2006 - 15:01:01 BST

Herbert Poetzl schrieb:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 05:29:28PM +0200, Martin Pajak wrote:
>> We are running latest Gentoo vserver with 8 guest instances on it.
>> Most of them are migrated from a xen environment to vserver and are
>> running fine, but we encountered a strange problem there:
>>
>> 3 of the systems lost their network interface 4 times within a week
>>
>> If I enter the guest in such a case, the "ip" or "ifconfig" commands
>> shows no network interfaces and I can only restart the guest to get it
>> to work again for now.
>>
>> Have anyone an idea how it comes to and how can I avoid it?

Meanwhile I tested a bit more and found out that there are 3 of 8
systems involved. One backup system and two production systems.
Everytime time if I shutdown the backup system (normally every midnight
to reset the snapshots for backup) the both other systems looses
their network interface. If I shutdown the systems to restart them, I
get "RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address" error. After
restart everything is fine.

> although I have no details about your setup, I'd

Our setup:

single amd64 with 2GB ram
2 300GB hdd running as softraid 1 with lvm2 and evms
latest gentoo vserver
all guests have own internet ip's and are running on a evms volumes with
snapshot feature for backup purposes

> suspect that one guest gets a 'primary' (i.e. not
> secondary) ip on the network (check with ip a ls)

I tested this and all guests have only their designated addresses bound,
  so this shouldn't be the cause here. I don't know the
"primary/secondary propagation", but I guess I don't need it in this
scenario.

Does anyone have a suggestion with these additional infos?

Thanks in advance
Martin