Re: [Vserver] Multiple NICs, Multiple Networks; Revisited 2

From: John Alberts <john.m.alberts_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun 13 Aug 2006 - 15:52:25 BST

Hi Bob. After reading both this thread and the one on the Gentoo
forums that you posted, I see several problems.

First, I would use seperate subnets for each of your eth0, eth1, and
eth2 interfaces, and of course, seperate hubs/switches. I tried for a
week to get 2 nics working on the same subnet and never got past the
routing problems. For isolation reasons, I wouldn't expect that you
would even really want them on the same subnet anyway.

Second, it sounds like you are trying to use the same ip for your
guest as the ip that you have set for your real interface. The guest
os should have a unique address on the same subnet that the real
interface is on. For instance, if eth1 has an ip of 192.168.18.252,
then your guest os can have an ip of 192.168.18.100. Assuming that
192.168.18.100 is not already in use elsewhere.

This leads to the third problem. Every guest os must have a unique ip
address. In reading your posts, it sounds like you are trying to use
the same ip for multiple guests. You can't do that. :)

John