[Vserver] PPP inside VServer

From: Eugene Roux <eroux_at_damn.org.za>
Date: Wed 23 Aug 2006 - 12:50:37 BST

Hi All,

I have what is staring to seem like a fairly unusual requirement and
this is busy giving me nightmares.

I've built a Linux-VServer with two VE's; each of which I would like to
give access via modems and PPP to dial the outside world.

So far, so good.

I've managed to access the individual modems just fine using a device
uniquely exported int each VE as /dev/modem.

Accessing these modems using "cu -l /dev/modem" works fine, but when I
try and bring up a PPP link I get the following:

        root@vs01-vc01:/# /usr/sbin/pppd.org user root call FOOCHAT
        chat: Aug 22 12:07:35 CONNECT 1800000
        Serial connection established.
        Using interface ppp0
        Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
        Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
        ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)
        Connection terminated.
        Connect time 0.1 minutes.
        Sent 126 bytes, received 150 bytes.
        root@vs01-vc01:/#

Please tell me what I'm missing here...

Regards,
        Eugéne

--
Eugéne Roux                "Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons
Cynical Romantic,                  exist.  Children already know dragons