Re: [Vserver] new vserver network hanging

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 25 Aug 2006 - 00:20:03 BST

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 02:38:55PM -0700, Kathy Kost wrote:

> Been looking at this problem for 2 days now and can't figure it out --
> hoping for some ideas as to what to look at.
>
> I just created a new Debian guest. Called it wwwint. My Debian
> distribution is on another machine called bermuda. I created the
> vserver by the following command:
>
> vserver wwwint build -m debootstrap --hostname wwwint --interface \
> eth0:x.x.x.x -- -d sarge -m http://bermuda/debian --
> --exclude=$REMOVE_PACKAGES
>
> The IP address I chose is unique to our internal net and
> $REMOVE_PACKAGES in this case did not evaluate to anythingg
> (I didn't set the variable in this particular build).
> bacapabilities file has CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE in it.

is given by default, so should not be required

> /etc/apt/sources.list is defined as:
>
> deb http://bermuda/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://bermuda/debian/ stable main
> deb http://bermuda/security/ stable/updates main
>
> I have bermuda's IP defined in /etc/hosts so it finds it
> (or I don't and I just bermuda's IP address).
>
> What happens is that once I start wwwint, it sees all the network
> routes fine, as defined on the root server. It sees the default route
> and then any other networks/gateways we have.

sounds good ...

> When I first do an apt-get update that works fine. Then I do "apt-get
> install locales" and that appears to work fine. I chose en_US
> IO-8859-1 and en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8.

> Then I try to do a base-config and suddenly my network hangs and I
> can't talk to bermuda anymore.

sounds like base-config does mess with the networking,
let's check the following here:

  - /proc/virtual/<xid>/status (for caps)
  - ip addr ls (before and after the base-config)
  - ip route ls (again, before and after)

(you might need to install the 'ip' utility from iproute2)

> If I try to do "netstat -r" it thinks about it for a few
> second and finally comes back.
> Any attempt of the rest of the Debian packages ends up stalling.

> If I try wget -d it attempts it and then I get a segmentation fault.

that sounds like a wget bug, would not be the first one :)

> None of my other vservers have this problem and neither does the root
> server.
>
> Any ideas as to how to troubleshoot this better than I'm obviously
> doing here?

yep, try to provide the data mentioned above, and/or pay
a visit to the irc channel (#vserver @ irc.oftc.net) for
a more interactive experience :)

HTH,
Herbert