Re: [Vserver] How do I nfs-mount inside a vserver?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 13 Sep 2006 - 19:33:58 BST

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:22:21AM +0200, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I googled for a while but I didn't find a solution for nfs-mounting
> inside the guest from a remote nfs-server.
>
> I had to export the dirs on the nfs-server to the guest AND to the
> host (why?). After that the host answers to the mount request.

as usual, what tools, what host/guest distro?

> I gave the guest ccap secure_mount AND binary_mount. But a
>
> mount 192.168.39.1:/home /home -o nolock,tcp
>
> gives a "permission denied".

should be sufficient with recent kernels to do an nfs mount
if the portmapper is reachable and working as expected

> If I add CAP_SYS_ADMIN to bcap, it works fine. But that's not what I
> want.

that's at least interesting, but could be an already fixed
bug in older kernels

> If I setup fstab.remote, it works (well, I don't know why!). What is
> the difference?

main difference is that the fstab.remote is executed on the
host but within the network context, which solves certain
issues you see, like requiring host and guest ip to be allowed

> I'm using 2.6.17-vs2.1.1-rc26-gentoo.
>
> Any ideas?

well, let's do an strace of the actual mount, to see where
it fails, and check with rpcinfo and showmounts

HTH,
Herbert