Re: [Vserver] advanced routing per vps

From: Rik Bobbaers <Rik.Bobbaers_at_cc.kuleuven.be>
Date: Mon 18 Sep 2006 - 15:02:27 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> you do not need an ip address to bring an interface up :)
>
> ifconfig eth2 up
> ifconfig eth2 down

as said... if i restart interfaces, i don't want "weird old" ip
addresses on the interface, so i put 0.0.0.0 on it ;)
not really sure if that makes sense, but...

don't even know if that's a good idea... anyone comments?

> this config option will become a 'vlandev' in the near
> future (probably already is in CVS/SVN), which will
> make more sense here ...

mkay, tnx :)

> use counts are generally a bad idea, as we already
> saw with the mainline behaviour on removing the
> primary ip, etc ... mainly because you would have
> to account for host actions too ... but feel free
> to write your own 'book keeping' scripts and hook
> them into the startup/shutdown

yeah, you don't want a real use count, but you COULD check if there are
routes over that vlan, if there are still routes, that means, there are
still ip's on that vlan, so don't remove. or am i wrong here?

> wouldn't it be more appropriate to add those routes
> to the appropriate tables?

how do you mean? i don't think i completely get it... you see the
scripts, what should be changed??? right now, i have 1 table per
configured vlan. you suggest 1 table per virtual server?

greetz,

--
harry
aka Rik Bobbaers