Re: [Vserver] mixed gcc versions

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 19 Sep 2006 - 14:31:29 BST

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 09:19, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Tue September 19 2006 08:00, Chuck wrote:
> > host

> > > Only the kernel is common between host and guest.
> > >
> > > Which means host and guest software needs to be built against
> > > the same (or compatible) kernel headers.
> > >
> > > Plus the consideration that your question implies - the kernel
> > > when compiled for 64-bit must still support 32-bit code.
> > >
> > > Not all brands of machine will support mixed size code.
> > > For instance, Linux on pa-risc does not have a 64-bit userland,
> > > regardless of the kernel being compiled for either 32-bit or 64-bit.
> > >

> > it would be a gentoo 64 bit host with 32bit emu enabled
> >

> If 32-bit emulation is enabled, it should be just fine.

cool

> You still haven't mentioned the processor type, but if 32-bit code
> will run on the host, then 32-bit code will run in the guest.

sorry... dual core opterons

> > and a 32 bit or even
> > possibly the 64bit centos guest.. all gentoo guests will be 64bit gcc
4.1.1

> > i am just concerned about the centos since thats binary distribution.
> >

> You probably should not share the same copy of glibc host & guest.
> It is always a "good idea" for glibc to be built with the same compiler
> as the rest of userland code.

each guest has its own everything except kernel and modules... my boss doesnt
believe in sharing things to save space.

> Running a different glibc in a vserver is not a problem, vservers are
> good at doing things like that.

ahh ok then.. cause yeah.. each guest will be compiled within itself while
running and not compiled by the host or some other combination.

however although i think i could put 4.1.1 on centos via yum then update
everything forcing a recompile of world, not knowing anything about centos i
have no clue if anything would break so i am forced to accept whatever
parameters the guest template is made with.

> Mike

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book