Re: [Vserver] advanced routing per vps

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 21 Sep 2006 - 13:24:34 BST

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 03:30:08PM +0200, Rik Bobbaers wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >routes and addresses are only loosely coupled,
> >and the existance of one doesn't imply the other
>
> not really... i can do a:
> ip route add $NETWORK dev $IF table <table>
>
> but, i can't add a gateway for that network if there is
> no ip defined on that $IF

why would you want to add a gateway route without
having an ip on the same network?
(i.e. that doesn't make sense IMHO)

> so, how would i go around that?
>
> >yes, definitely, I'd put one routing table
> >per vserver guest, this way you can basically
> >have per guest routing and it will not affect
> >the other guests at all ...
>
> wouldn't that be a lot of overhead? i'd say just add rules
> in start and stop scripts, make the routes for each table
> fixed at boottime or so...

yes, but boottime of the guest (if you want
per guest routing)

> (that was my initial thought, but as you see above, you
> can't add a gateway to a route if you don't have an ip
> on that network...

I just assume that all guests will have an ip
on the network they are trying to route over :)

> sollutio would indeed be: put a route for every vps on
> your system...

a separate routing entry (in a separate table)
for each vps, yes, that's what you want if you
have per guest/vps routing needs ...

> (requires more maintenance on your rt_tables file tough...)

well, only if you want named tables, they work
pretty fine with numebrs too :)

> but might be a good idea... i don't know yet :)

keep us posted,