[Vserver] problem with quotas and proc/mounts and just general confusion.

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Sun 15 Oct 2006 - 17:30:28 BST

/proc mounts shows this:

[root@cntos64-webmin-tmpl proc]# cat mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / reiserfs rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs rw,nodev 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0

while my mtab shows this:
[root@cntos64-webmin-tmpl / ]# cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hdv1 / reiserfs usrquota,grpquota,attrs,noatime 0 0
none /proc proc 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs size=64m,mode=1777 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

guess i just don't understand the inner workings of these things enough. how
can it show /dev/root when i dont use initrd, dont use labels, nothing. my
host root is sda3 and each guest root is hdv1

unfortunately something is interacting between proc/mounts and mtab inside
virtualminpro which will not allow quotas to work... yet i can assign a user
quota at cmdline and it appears to work but then doesn't show in virtualmin.

the guy at virtualmin says its because proc/mounts does not agree with mtab,
but... im so totally confused im about to give up on quotas.

also on my host i tried setting quotas on / but that doesn't fly either..
maybe it cant be done.. when i run the quota daemon it tries to enable them
and says they work on the guest partitions but it cant do / on the host.. i
was thinking that guests were mirroring the host root configs...

can someone set me straight on this... i have been going around so many times
now it has become a mess.

i followed the wiki howto for quotas in gentoo for the host and it works on
other partitions than /... i also followed the wiki howto for using quotas
with lvm partitions for the guest.. that appears to work at cmdline too..

why does quotas insist on a partition? maybe i should just divide my guests up
into a root and /home partition and be done with it. just seems like extra
work for something that i would think would work no matter what. i expected i
could assign quotas to any directory or user or group to have disk/user/group
quotas for that particular directory, not a mount point.

--
Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,