Re: [Vserver] openpty(): No such file

From: Oliver Heinz <oliver.heinz_at_schunk.net>
Date: Tue 21 Nov 2006 - 13:58:00 GMT

Am Dienstag, 21. November 2006 00:28 schrieb Oliver Heinz:
> Am Montag, 20. November 2006 23:07 schrieb Herbert Poetzl:
> [...]
>
> > sorry, missed that one on the reread
>
> that's why I do some cleanup to the mail - i starts getting a little messy
>
> > > dakar:~ # ls -la /dev/ptmx
> > > crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 2 Sep 23 2003 /dev/ptmx
> > >
> > > dakar:~ # mount
> > > /dev/hda2 on / type reiserfs (rw)
> > > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> > > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
> >
> > looks fine, let's also check /proc/mounts to make
> > sure that mount (and mtab) is not lying
>
> liar:

o.k. it was late yesterday...
cat /proc/mounts did not lie (of course) but the mtab and mount command did

> dakar:~ # cat /proc/mounts
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
> none /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
> /dev/root /home ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/root /backup/gobi ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/sda3 /backup/gobi/srv ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/sda3 /srv/www/htdocs/vhosts ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/sda3 /srv/www/htdocs/php-inc ext3 rw 0 0
>.
> which is the real mounts on the root server

no they were not - I was mistaken, thats the mounts as defined
in /etc/vserver/dakar/fstab - so everything fine here except...
there is no mounted /dev/pts :-(

Today i did a minimum suse 9 system and no problems at all :-)

So after a little comparison between the configs I found that I had disabled
the /dev/pts for some reason (which I don't remember), so i uncommented that
an voila, everything work like a charm with and without --vlogin in the
vserver sbin.

So the new vserver-utils seem to require the /dev/pts mounted while the old
didn't. (Herbert was on the right track from the beginning)

It would be great if the error message could give those dimwitted users like
me a little hint like "is your devpts mounted inside the guest?' or 'does
your guest's fstab contain an devpts entry?'.

Thanks a million for your help,
Oliver