Re: [Vserver] which version to choose for a new install

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 23 Nov 2006 - 16:25:59 GMT

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:28:27AM +0100, Adnet Ghislain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If we want to build new box with vserver on them, what version
> stable/dev/prepatch should we choose?

depends on what 'features' you require ...
(see http://linux-vserver.org/Feature_Matrix)

> We know the kernel has seen some major bug squeeze those last weeks
> and stable version is laggin a little in kernel version. So what is
> the best choice about this?

assumed you decide for stable, you probably best
go with the current release candidate vs2.0.2.2-rc8

> should we stick with stable and be .0.01 late in kernel or take
> dev one, will this be a problem?

you might also start with one of the 2.2.0 pre releases
which will give you most of the features devel has and
should provide a stable base for the future

> will version be switched soon (dev=>stable) as hints on the list
> seems to indicate?

yes and no, 2.2.0 will become a second stable branch,
while 2.0.x will fade out over time (next two years
or so :)

> Any advice on wich version to choose? :)

aside from what I said above ... go for the features
... and let us know how it goes :)

HTH,
Herbert