Re: [Vserver] future vserver on ubuntu

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri 24 Nov 2006 - 03:14:15 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:33:44 +0000
Martin <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 11:30 -0500, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> > It looks like Ubuntu is no longer going to include kernel-patch-vserver
> > in the distribution. It's not in feisty.
> >
> > The patch included in edgy does not apply to the stock linux sources
> > (2.6.17) and edgy does not include 2.6.12/2.6.13/2.6.15 which the patch
> > requires. And, there are no images at ubuntu.uni-klu.ac.at.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the plans are?
> Debian have removed kernel-patch-vserver from testing/unstable but have
> started shipping a package with it pre-built on the current Debian
> kernel version, see linux-image-2.6-vserver-$ARCH . As I understand it
> Ubuntu releases start from a partial snapshots of unstable, so the same
> is probably true.

wouldn't bet on it. ubuntu maintains their kernels separate from debian.
don't know if they'll follow debian's lead in this area or not, but if they
do it won't be because they are simply reusing debian's packages from
unstable.

to answer the original poster: if you want an "edgy" kernel patched with
vserver, then download the kernel source package from
http://ubuntu.uni-klu.ac.at/ubuntu.uniklu/dists/dapper/uniklu-vserver/source/*2.6.17*
and build it yourself. yes, the binary package appears to target dapper
(at least it's in the dapper repository; haven't compared the dependency
versions to see if they are the same as in dapper), but the source package
can probably be built on edgy no problem (as i simply rebuild the dapper
kernel on debian sarge).

my guess is that Gerald Hochegger is building/backporting the edgy kernel
for dapper because they've probably settled on dapper but need the newer
kernel version (2.6.17 vs 2.6.15) to support newer hardware. (i'm
interested in how ubuntu handles supporting people/companies/organizations
running dapper long-term but needing to support newer machines not
supported in dapper's 2.6.15. is dapper's "long term support" for
hardware going to be stuck in the year 2006?)

hth.

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com