Re: [Vserver] Q:Would "guest suspend to disk" work?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 28 Nov 2006 - 15:03:10 GMT

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 04:24:10PM +0100, Robert Michel wrote:
> Salve *, Herbert!
>
> I like the power of linux-vserver and I do not to
> want to _nag_ you with the question:
>
> would "guest suspend to disk" work?

it's not tested, but I do not see any immediate reason
why it should not work ...

> It is just "IMHO it would be cool when this would be
> possible, too" > ;)

> The benefits should be clear, user or single application environment

ah, you mean a single guest ... well that's a completely
different thing, and yes, it is possible to do that,
but it requires some efford and increases the overall
overhead significantly, as you cannot use sharing or
isolation anymore ...

> - could be remove from stock/RAM to free resources

happens automagically via system paging (swap)

> - could be moved to other (host) systems

require the other systems to have identical structures
and/or resources, that's why suspend to disk with
different boxes does not work either ...

> - could be cloned (for training or productive enviroments)

in this case putting it into 'some' virtual machine
is definitely the simpler approach ..

btw, you can achieve all that and more by adding
a Xen wrapper around Linux-VServer ...

HTC,
Herbert