Re: [Vserver] numa option

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Sun 03 Dec 2006 - 00:30:35 GMT

On Saturday 02 December 2006 16:26, Bert De Vuyst wrote:

Thank you. Clears it all up now.. good.

> On Saturday 02 December 2006 04:45, Chuck wrote:
> > i have this option turned on via recommendation of the help, but i see
then
> > talking about dual core opteron and em64t in the same breath. what is
em64t
> > and would i have it with a tyan mobo and dual opteron multicore
processors?

> EM64 is a INTEL Xeon/woodcrest with 64bit extentions.
> These systems use a shared bus for there CPUs. (no NUMA)
>
> a AMD dual Opteron system uses NUMA. (both for single and dual core)
> a single AMD Opteron dual core doesn't use UNMA.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bert.
>

> > CONFIG_NUMA:
> > Enable NUMA (Non Uniform Memory Access) support. The kernel
> > will try to allocate memory used by a CPU on the local memory
> > controller of the CPU and add some more NUMA awareness to the kernel.
> > This code is recommended on all multiprocessor Opteron systems.
> > If the system is EM64T, you should say N unless your system is EM64T
> > NUMA

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book