Re: [Vserver][Solved] iproute2 behavior problem

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 05 Dec 2006 - 05:26:53 GMT

On Sunday 03 December 2006 09:25, Michael S. Zick wrote:

It appears that, at least on my 2006.1 Gentoo distro, possibly with iproute2 I
am not positive if it extends beyond Gentoo, that someone decided to
automatically load the arping module even when not asked for. This causes the
2 second delay. A fix for Gentoo installs is after your modules=("iproute2")
an additional line of modules=("!arping") cures the problem. I have no idea
why they feel this is required on all networking code since they load it no
matter what, but unless it does something specifically important to our use,
it seems to only get in the way. We use 100% static
assignments,gateways,routes,everything so we need no automatic detections of
anything at all, and in fact this also cured another of my problems where a
specific static route did not work, but now it does after killing that
module. I guess it made its own decisions that my instructions were not
worthy enough to obey. I am highly irked at Gentoo right now that they would
do this with no warnings or notifications that this was a new
automagic 'feature' which , unless i am made to understand why I need it,
simply has caused me problems.

> On Sun December 3 2006 05:50, Chuck wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 December 2006 00:28, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >

> > this is during boot when initializing the ethx adapters.
> >

> I noticed that myself on a Debian/Etch system - I suppose
> any distro that follows their lead (uses the same udevd)
> might have the same symptoms;
>
> Look for: /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
> which is generated at runtime, during boot,
> by /etc/udev/persistent-net-generator.rules
>
> If you do not intend to be changing nic's in the box
> in-between boots, then that rule generator only needs
> to run once per life-time of the machine - not once
> per every boot.
>
> I don't have my hands on your set-up - so I can't say
> what/how to make the changes to your configuration files,
> but that is the 'slow to initialize' ethernet nics problem
> area.
>
> Believe me, you do not want to plug in a usb-nic if you want
> a fast boot - it will eventually boot but you could swear
> the kernel hung while waiting.
>
> Mike

> > > when you add them? remove them? or just view them?
> > >
> > > could be an overeager nameservice reverse lookup
> > > trying to find a name to your IPs :)
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Herbert

> > > too little information ...
> > >
> > > best,
> > > Herbert

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book