Re: [Vserver] Grsec & Vserver "droped cmd"

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 17 Dec 2006 - 18:21:59 GMT

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 03:22:42PM +0100, Marc Kalberer wrote:
> Hello ,
> First of all : Thanks to the vserver team for the work they do/did !!
>
> Then .. I have a vserver running on a grsec host. Allmost everything
> is working fine except that on some circumstances (seems to be when
> more processes are running) command get droped.

> For example mysqldump won't work(once in a while), or even a simple
> "ps" will retrun immidiately and worse: apt-get has to be exec
> in a chroot(inside the vserver - through ssh - the process exit
> immediately).

sounds strange, I'd suggest to do the following:

 - check system log and dmesg for 'unusual' stuff
 - try recent mainline Linux-VServer without grsec
 - run such a command with strace -fF and wait
   until it fails (provide that trace then)

> How could I change this behaviour, I enabled the vserver hard cpu
> limit, could it be linked ?

nope, that might put a guest on hold, and so delay
the execution for some time, but doesn't kill it

> Since I can have an heavy load on the vserver it sounds strange.

hmm?

> I an other hand apache is very stable....
> I didn't set any ulimit options and I should have ~300

I assume processes here ...

> on the host + one vserver ~50 + one vserver ~200 so it is
> not that much ...

> I used the patch-2.6.14.7-vs2.1.0-grsec2.1.9.diff

maybe updating that wouldn't hurt either ...

HTH,
Herbert