[Vserver] dev in read-only guest / using a ramdisk

From: Oliver Welter <mail_at_oliwel.de>
Date: Sat 23 Dec 2006 - 17:48:55 GMT

Hi Folks,

I postet a similar mail to the list about a year ago but didnt find time
to deal with the issue - so it pops up now again :)

My Problem: I have my guests root on a read-only partition, var is
another partition and tmp is a ramdisk. I have the /dev tree on the
readonly partition at the moment - the result is, that syslog is not
working because process cant write on the socket....

I tried to use a symlink for /dev/log to the writable partition - seems
not to work. If I put the whole /dev directory on the /var partition and
create a link or use bind-mount I get
vcontext: open("/dev/null"): Permission denied
On guest start and the init is aborted.

Anybody here can point me to a working solution ? Perhaps a ramdisk for
dev (but how to create the necessary nodes on the ramdisk??)

merry x.mas and best reagrds

Oliver