Re: [Vserver] inconsistency about memory rlimits in vserver docs

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 02 Jan 2007 - 17:56:44 GMT

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 05:04:39PM +0100, Gebhardt Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just tried to figure out a reasonable memory rlimit configuration for
> our vservers I had a look at vserver wiki. It seems that there is an
> inconsistency:
>
> http://linux-vserver.org/Memory_Limits ->
> The Resident Set Size (rss) is the amount of virtual memory
> (RAM + swap) that the context is allowed to use;

that is wrong ...

> http://oldwiki.linux-vserver.org/Memory+Allocation ->
> RSS: resident set size = the number of pages currently present in RAM

that is correct

> http://linux-vserver.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions ->
> echo %%insertYourPagesHereSmallerThanMaxram%% > /etc/vserver/
> <guest>/rlimits/rss
>
> So, does swap space count for rss limits or not?

nope, rss will _never_ account swap space, but ...

> ----
>
> What exactly is the meaning of the soft limit?
> http://linux-vserver.org/Memory_Limits is a bit vague:
> Each resource has a soft and a hard limit.
> The soft limit has little effect,
> but the hard limit does ....
>
> http://linux-vserver.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> (How do I limit a guests RAM? ...)
> obviously suggests to set soft limits.
> Why doing so if the "soft limit has little effect"?

the soft limit is _shown_ inside the guest as the
maximum available memory, and being over the soft
limit will give your guest an extra bonus for the
OOM killer (proportional to the oversize), while
the hard limit is shown as memory + swap and once
it is reached, your guest _will_ lose processes to
the OOM killer ...

> ----
>
> Is "as" (address space) the same thing that is called "VM"
> (virtual memory) in /proc/virtual/<1234>/limit ?
> If so, why using different names for the same quantity?

HTC,
Herbert