Re: [Vserver] setting /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax on the guest

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 02 Jan 2007 - 18:02:15 GMT

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:47:35AM +0100, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 02:05:30PM +0100, william Famy wrote:
> >>
> >>To begin with Happy new year to every vserver guy.
> >
> >and a happy new year to you too ...
> >
> >>I have to extand the shmmax for my guest but I do not manage to do it.
> >>
> >>cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
> >>134217728
> >>I have tried the /etc/vserver/host/rlimits
> >>I have tried to add bcapability
> >>but I do not manage to go ahead with it.
> >>
> >>I've run under 2.6.19.1 with the last devel vserver patch under
> >>debian etch as host.
> >>
> >>Could somebody tell me how to modify the guest config to execute
> >>"echo 134217728 /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax " for my guest.

> >as 2.6.19.x incorporates the mainline namespace
> >stuff, you have to set those values from one of
> >the early guest startup script (e.g. prepre-start)
> >while you still have 'enough' capabilities ...

> I assume this requires the IPC namespace to be created?
> That doesn't happen until the context is created, so none of
> the scripts would work for this particular problem.

hmm, isn't the context supposed to exist in
the post-start script? if not, please could
you once and for all clarify which script is
started when and in what context(s)?

> Having a non-executable one that does something like
> VSERVER_EXTRA_CMDS=( $_CHAINECHO /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax 134217728 )
> is probably the only way to make it happen (with current tools).

okay, any plans to allow for such support?

> >also using the sysctl interface instead of the
> >deprecated procfs one (which might as well be
> >hidden away :) is advised ...
> >
> >maybe special tool support will be added soon,
> >so please double check with the tool maintainers
>
> I guess some nicer way to support it would be required,
> especially as more of these settings become available.

what do you have in mind ... please share
your thoughts, as I think those settings _might_
become essential for certain setups ...

TIA,
Herbert