Re: [Vserver] a question regarding disk limits

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 16 Jan 2007 - 22:15:42 GMT

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 04:04:51PM +0100, alexander goeres - lieblinx GmbH wrote:
> Hello List!
>
> I'm trying to make the disk-limits work for my vservers to gain some
> flexibility and ran into a problem: the disk limits seem to be
> disfunctional. I wonder if anyone could help me with that ..
>
> I followed the instructions provided on
> http://oldwiki.linux-vserver.org/Disk+Limits:
> - created a directory /etc/vservers/test1/dlimit/0
> - in there I created the files space_total with 716800, inode_total
> with 100000, reserved with 5 and directory with /var/lib/vservers/test
> - I was tagging the files in /var/lib/vservers: chxid -r
> --xid /var/lib/vservers/test
>
> When I reduced the space_total to an amount smaller than the actual
> vserver content "vserver test start" refused to come up, complaining
> that there is not enough space.
>
> After adjusting the space, the vserver could be started. Doing a "df -kh"
> inside the vserver gave:
> /dev/hdv1 700M 579M 87M 88% /
>
> Until here everything looks fine.
>
> The error showed, when inside this vserver I succeed doing a:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1M count=1024
>
> This produced a 1 GB big file inside the vserver that claimed to
> have only 87 MB left.

not that unusal, disk limits are only implemented for
ext2/3/4, reiserfs and jfs for now, so xfs is not
accounted and thus not limited ..

> Are the disk limits functional?

yes, they are working quite fine for the supported
filesystems ...

> If yes, how are they to be set up?

The setup was simplified with recent tools, which do
now calculate the used space and save/restore the
current values and limits properly

so what you described should work fine for the
supported filesystems ...

> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> The vserver-version is a vanilla kernel 2.6.19.2 with vs 2.2.0-rc7.
> Util-Vserver is 0.30.211 (debian compiled). The vservers' partition
> is a XFS-filesystem mounted with the "tagxid"-option.

as there seems some xfs boom recently, and folks
start to actually use that filesystem, I'm inclined
to add the missing feature, given that there are a
few folks willing to test that ...

so please let me know if you're interested ...

TIA,
Herbert