Re: [Vserver] vlimit --core does not work ?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 21 Jan 2007 - 11:17:03 GMT

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:03:42PM -0800, Jennifer Chou wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
>
> On 1/20/07, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
> >
> >On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 05:02:27PM -0800, Jennifer Chou wrote:
> >> Hi Herbert,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the pomprt reply. I have tried to put all the following
> >> files with
> >> some number (i.e. 2048 for example) to try out.
> >>
> >> (BTW, the doc in ulimits section does not mention
> >> supporting of ulimits on core though)
> >>
> >> /etc/vserver<guestos>/rlimits/core
> >> /etc/vserver<guestos>/rlimits/core.hard
> >> /etc/vserver<guestos>/rlimits/core.soft
> >>
> >> /etc/vserver<guestos>/ulimits/core
> >> /etc/vserver<guestos>/ulimits/core.hard
> >> /etc/vserver<guestos>/ulimits/core.soft
> >>
> >> Then I do:
> >> vserver guestos stop
> >> vserver guestos start
> >>
> >> I got the same error as "vc_set_rlmit: Unknow error 524)
> >> I assume I got this from the rlimts/core setting.
> >
> >probably, but the fact that you get the 'unknown error'
> >points towards older tools, which might not support the
> >ulimits at all ...
> >
> >> Then I do:
> >> vserver guestos enter
> >> ulimit -c
> >>
> >> (I still got 0 and not the value I set in the ulimits file ?)
> >>
> >> Any idea ?
> >
> >could be related to several things like:
> >
> >- older tools
> >- missing support for that limit
> >
> >> what I was trying to do is to use CLI for customer to setup
> >> their default corefile size in that Vserver during runtime.
> >> The value can take effect after Vserver restart.
> >
> >how do the customers reach the guest? via ssh or
> >something like that? because if, then you could also
> >set those limits on a per login basis via pam
>
> [jennifer] - Customer only ssh to reach host CLI shell.
> The idea is the CLI for each VM can be done in the
> host by issuing the vlimit command behind the door
> to VM to achieve this .

i.c.

> anyway, kernel and tool version would be appreciated
>
> [jennifer]
> kernel - 2.6.14.3
> util-linux 2.12q
> util-vserver 0.30.210

okay, I don't know the Linux-VServer patch yet,
but with 2.6.14.3 it must be something like
2.0.1-pre3 or 2.1.0-rc9 ...

I would suggest to update both, the kernel and
util vervser first, the following versions woul
be advised:

 - kernel 2.6.19.2 + vs2.2.0-rc8 (or later)
 - util-vserver 0.30.212 (or later)

HTH,
Herbert