[Vserver] Re: Re: vserver patch for recent 2.6.16

From: Markus Schuster <ma.schuster_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue 23 Jan 2007 - 23:28:35 GMT

Björn Steinbrink wrote:

>> > I take it that you are actually volunteering to test
>> > such a kernel with and without Xen meshed in ...
>>
>> I think I can't follow your thoughts here :)
>> [..]
>
> It basically means "I would create a patch for you, iff you promise to
> actually test it and give feedback etc.".
> [..]

Now that's clear to me :) I've no problem testing such a patch, maybe some
other users that haven't spoken up will find it useful. Currently I have a
development system standing here that will make it quite easy to do some
testing (the Debian problems on the one hand and a vserver patch for
2.6.16.x on the other) :)

The fastest way to get the same XEN kernel I want to use is:
- Get the XEN 3.0.4-1 source tarball from XEN Source
- Download the incremental updates from 2.6.16.33 to 2.6.16.37 to
patches/linux-2.6.16.33/ and add the files to the
patches/linux-2.6.16.33/series file, so they are applyed automatically in
the next step
- Do a 'make prep-kernels' in the XEN source dir (the failed hunks in the
Makefile can be ignored of course :))
-> Now you have a 2.6.16.37 ready made with XEN laying in
linux-2.6.16.33-xen.

If I could get a vserver patch against such a kernel, I would of course test
it out and report back here (maybe not after a day or two, 'cause I tend to
test things too much than too less).

Regards,
Markus