Re: [Vserver] raising individual interface devices

From: Baltasar Cevc <baltasar_at_cevc-topp.de>
Date: Sat 17 Feb 2007 - 16:53:58 GMT

> Hi Chuck
>
> Quoting Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>:
>> is there a way to raise an individual interface device in a vserver without
>> restarting the entire server?
>>
>> i am installing several vservers that will require various ip addresses for
>> specific SSL certs added one at a time but should not down the
>> entire service
>> just to do so.. eg:
>>
>> eg:
>>
>> /etc/vservers/guestname/interfaces/0
>> /etc/vservers/guestname/interfaces/1
>>
>> then i want to add
>>
>> /etc/vservers/guestname/interfaces/2
>>
>> and bring it alive without disturbing 0 or 1 or the operation of any
>> services
>> under them.
>
> Add the interface configuration, add the IP to the interface on the
> host (ip addr add xxxx dev yyy, as far as and enter the vserver
> (using vserver enter); the newly opened "session" in the context
> knows the new IP, too. So you may restart your Webserver then and use
> the new IP.

Sorry, I've accidently hit send - here's the complete text I wanted
to write ;-)

Add the interface configuration, add the IP to the interface on the
host (ip addr add xxxx dev yyy) - so the host knows the IP (which is
normally done by vserver start). Then enter the vserver (using vserver
enter); the newly opened "session" (your bash process or similar) in
the context knows the new IP, too. So you may add it to your Webserver
config and restart it (now having the newly assigned IP, too).

Hope that helps,
Baltasar