Re: [Vserver] bug or feature

From: Björn Steinbrink <B.Steinbrink_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat 24 Feb 2007 - 10:03:29 GMT

On 2007.02.24 01:13:21 +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 06:30:15PM -0500, Adrien Laurent wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > By mistake I assigned to a guest the same IP than the host.
>
> on guest startup, it will have warned you
> that the address was already assigned ...
>
> > I stopped the guest...
> > and I lost the host ip...
>
> a serial (or at least remote :) console
> (which should really be part of any serious
> hosting setup) would have helped here ...
>
> > hard remote reboot...
>
> well, you assigned it as ip which shall be
> added on startup and removed on shutdown,
> which is what it did ...
>
> > Is it possible to forbid assignment of host ip to a guest ?
>
> almost everything is possible nowadays :)
>
> but it would not make sense to forbid that,
> besides the fact that there is no way to
> figure what ip is considered a 'host' ip
>
> besides that, certain setups even require
> that you share the host IPs with a guest

Sidenote:
That's really a feature and you can also use it in a sane way by having
a "nodev" file instead of a "dev" file in the directory for that ip
address. That way, the ip address is assumed to be already setup and
will neither be created when the vserver is started, nor be destroyed
when the vserver is stopped.

Björn