Re: [Vserver] Question about rebuilding an older Debian system with vservers

From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver_at_muh.at>
Date: Sun 25 Feb 2007 - 23:02:44 GMT

Hi there,

on Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 11:41:47 PM there was posted:

KK> http://linux-vserver.org for installation on Fedora but have not
KK> seen anything about RH Ent Linux and how you would install it.

RHEL is using a really old kernel (2.6.9) which is not supported by
recent Linux-VServer patches. Therefore you would need to find some-
one to donwgrade the patches back to that kernel - and also use the
RHEL patches to the kernel as well.

Therefore the "official" recommended way for RHEL is to use a vanilla
kernel or instead use e.g. CentOS installation - wich certainly breaks
the "certification" of RHEL.

That means: At the moment there is NO way to have a recent Linux-
VServer system using RHEL except then getting deep into coding and
patching our RHEL yourself.

>> why bother with a debian install, when you
>> are used to RedHat? just install Fedora or
>> Mandriva on the host (with a Linux-VServer
>> kernel) and restore the guests there, they
>> will work regardless of the host distro ...

Main recommendation goes finally to what Herbert recommended though -
I'm for example using Fedora Core 6 on two AMD64 machines (1x Opteron
Dual-Core, 1x Athlon XP) without any problems. Remember: Main "work"
for the host is
a) supplying the kernel including the network
b) supplying the tools for the guest handling

That can be (quite secure) done with nearly any available kernel - so
if no special reason is for RHEL (e.g. certification) I also would
recommend you to use e.g. Fedora, which is well spread, tested and in
use (if you want a near RedHat system).

--
regards 'n greez,
Guenther Fuchs