Re: [Vserver] Re: vcontext: vc_create_context(): Out of memory

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 27 Feb 2007 - 02:13:33 GMT

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:30:58AM +0900, Taisuke Yamada wrote:

> OK, thanks to your instruction, I've recompiled the kernel,
> switched to static context configuration, and now I'm running
> around 500 virtual-hosts without a hitch.

sounds good to me ...

> However...I have no idea how I can reach to anywhere near
> 5000-8000 contexts...
>
> Do all the numbers below mean running 5000-8000 of
>
> chcontext --ctx <n> command &

basically, a context can be as small as a single
process, or as large as a complete Linux distro

of course, the number of contexts you can run
depends on the amount of resource you have available
(CPU, RAM, I/O, Network, ...)

> commands directly, instead of hosting virtual-environment with
> different context? Since each hosted environment takes several
> MBs of memory and ~100MB of disk space (at least with "hashified"
> Debian install), even 1000 seems remote to me.

well, multiply the used resources by 1000, get
a machine which matches that and you will be
able to run 1000+ guests ...

HTC,
Herbert