Re: [Vserver] Re: keeping a mirror machine synched

From: Ticktac UK <ticktacuk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed 28 Feb 2007 - 15:20:16 GMT

> > In our mini-ITX's we started to use Seagates as the Maxtors were
> > dropping down like flys. Although now I know they are one and the
> > same, we still opt for Seagates.
> >
> > Although Maxtor always replaced them with no problems, its the hassle
> > :)
>
>for harddisks, low temperature is the secret of
>long life (and stable env. conditions, of course)
>
>hddtemp is a nice tool to figure the disk temp
>for most newer drives, and as a rule of the thumb,
>everything below 40°C is considered fine and all
>above 50°C is considered deadly ...

Yeah, although there was a google report out recently that said cooler
drives failed quicker (go figure!)

Most of our drives are anything from 35-45, but have a few at the 50 mark.
But have been there for 2 years and not failed. Although we tend to do disk
swaps every 12 months anyway. It saves a lot of heart ache

Darren