Re: [Vserver] debian vserver and AMD x2 AM2 CPUs

From: Martin <inkubus_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Sat 03 Mar 2007 - 12:00:30 GMT

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 09:37 +0000, Konstantinos Pachopoulos wrote:
> Hi,
> has anybody had any experience with with VServer
> (Debian) and Dual Core AM2 CPUs? Does it work OK?
I would strongly suspect so. Up until last month I was running vserver
on a 10 way box so SMP isn't an issue.

> Is it posssible -would it be possible in the future
> maybe- for VServer to take advantage of the AMD CPUs
> built-in virtualization technology?
>From my uninformed viewpoint I would suspect not. As I understand it,
the hardware support is aimed at a much lower level of virtualisation
(i.e. hardware virtualisation rather than operating system level
virtualisation) than VServer. Plus I'm not sure that VServer /needs/
any hardware support - I've never managed to measure the overheads
involved. Have you looked at any of the KVM work that is slated ot go
into the mainstream kernel soon. I believe they are proposing using the
AMD extensions:

http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki
http://linuxvirtualization.com/articles/2006/10/29/kvm-kernel-based-virtual-machine

HTH