Re: [Vserver] a bit off topic but good to know if there is a known problem

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 06 Mar 2007 - 23:00:37 GMT

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 16:22, eyck wrote:

the controller is a silicone image 3114 which is a hybrid hardware/software
raid controller.. similar in theory to a winmodem. so far only windows
drivers support it properly according to SI. the linux drivers in the kernel
do not assist the si controller so we were discussing that the best would be
to set the controller to ultra or standard and simply do software raid via
linux.

> > note that the 'performance' in many cases is a myth,
> > for several reasons, mainly because:
> >
> > - hardware raid has 2-256MB cache, software has 1-4GB
> > - hardware raid has a single channel to the host,
> > while proper setup soft raid can burst over N channels
> > simultaniously (and will do so, e.g. for separate I/O
> > threads)
> > - elevator in the kernel, vs limited TCQ
> I believe you are talking about simple SATA controllers, not real
> hardware raid setups?
>
> --
> Key fingerprint = 40D0 9FFB 9939 7320 8294 05E0 BCC7 02C4 75CC 50D9
> Total Existance Failure

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book